What is there left to say about Iris Wildthyme – transtemporal adventuress (and sometime Time Lady) extraordinaire, metafictional explorer of texts and subtexts, double-decker-dwelling interstellar bag-lady, amnesia-prone political and sexual revolutionary, writer of wrongs, wronger of rights (especially copyrights), all-round champion of freedom, occasional nightclub singer and frequent barroom floozy?
Well, there’s always something. That’s the beauty of the character – created by Paul Magrs for his Phoenix Court sequence of mainstream magic-realist novels, later transposed by him into the universe of Doctor Who, but who has since proved herself able to go anywhere.
My work appears in three Iris Wildthyme anthologies, one of which I’ve edited:
- Iris Wildthyme of Mars (Obverse Books 2014), a short-story anthology edited by me and containing my story ‘Green Mars Blues’.
- Iris Wildthyme and the Celestial Omnibus (Obverse Books 2009), a short-story anthology edited by Paul Magrs and Stuart Douglas, which includes my story ‘Battleship Anathema’.
- Wiltdhyme on Top (Big Finish Productions 2005), a short-story anthology edited by Paul Magrs, which includes my story ‘Minions of the Moon’.
Also archived on the site as extras are two unlicensed pieces of Iris fiction:
- My rejected novel proposal Iris Wildthyme in the City of the Saved – the origin of my Faction Paradox novel Of the City of the Saved..., and the first appearance of Admiral Rex Halidom.
- My Magrs-flavoured, fan-published Doctor Who story ‘Cabinet of Changes’, which features Iris among other Paul Magrs characters.
www.infinitarian.com created and maintained by Philip Purser-Hallard.
All material © Philip Purser-Hallard 2005 to 2014 except where otherwise noted, and not to be used without permission.
Iris Wildthyme of Mars banner icon extracted from cover artwork by Paul Hanley © Paul Hanley 2014.
Iris Wildthyme and the Celestial Omnibus banner icon extracted from cover by June Hudson and cover design by Mark Michalowski © Obverse Books 2009.
Wildthyme on Top banner icon extracted from cover and New Worlds cover design © Stuart Manning 2005.